Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas 2014

These hippo overalls were drafted by me. The second pattern I've independently designed. I uses Winifred Aldrichs Metric Pattern Cutting for Babies and Children. I used the size 12 measurements because my girl is tall but I'm not convinced they will fit. They are lined with the teacup fabric I used for the hats I made.

Front
Front detail
Side
Side detail
Back detail

Two pairs of boys shorts for my 9 year olds twins. The pattern from these came from Ottobre Magazine 3/2010.

These shorts for my 4 year old are a different pattern from Ottobre 3/2010. I love the side pocket on these.
 
This piece of silk came from a kimono shop, my daughter picked it up and really wanted it. The yoke is from Ottobre Magazine 1/2011 the rest of the blouse I drafted to use the available fabric.

 

This shirt is Colette's Negroni pattern but I drafted a collar with a stand so my husband can wear it with a tie. I added length to the body and the arms this time too.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Happy Christmas in July

All through June I stitched away making a secret santa gift. Last week I posted it off and got one in return. It's been sitting there tempting me for 10 days. This morning though I woke up and painted the boys new bedroom and building their new beds. When I sat down tonight I finally got to open my gifts, and it was worth the wait! I'm so lucky to have received such lovely gifts. Thank you so much Shez!

 

 

 

Saturday, June 29, 2013

June's Cherish Blocks

I've been madly sewing all month but three of the things I've made are for a Christmas in July Secret Santa Swap so I can't show them. I've also hand sewn this month's Cherish blocks. We were asked to do hexagons so I've done 1.5" inch hexagons. The other blocks that have been made this month are beautiful, it's going to be another stunning quilt!

 

 

 

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Hotties

Don't get too excited! The Margaret Pratt Foundation is running a Hottie Challenge to raise money for Heart and Lung Transplant Research. Ages ago I signed up and paid my fees.i wasn't sure what I wanted to do so I put it aside to mull over. Yesterday I pulled it out with a vague memory that it was due in at the end of June, only to read the info and discover thatI should have had it in today. After an apologetic email I was told I could get it in by next week, so this afternoon I put it together, with some critical input from my children about the design.

The design represents the close community that forms among heart/lung recipients.

I drew the design on paper then made templates before hand-appliqueing the shapes to the hottie. Check out some other lovelies here

 

 

Friday, June 14, 2013

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

It's finished!

After being away last week and having interstate visitors, I've finally finished my husband's shirt.

He's tried it on and given approval.

Sorry about the photos. It's dark and rainy outside.

This was a Collette pattern. I have some of her other patterns but this was the first I've made. The instructions were wonderful, and apart from adding length in the sleeves I didn't need to make any fitting adjustments. I can see that I'll be making a few more of these when I find some nice shirting.

 

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Lucky hubby doesn't like.....

Pockets in his shirts. I've been promising to make him a shirt for years, I even bought some fabric several years ago just for this purpose. Well, it's his birthday this week so it's time to make good on my promise. Only the pattern calls for 3 yards of fabric and when I measured it, I only had 2 metres.

I cut out all the pattern pieces and pinned them all to the fabric and just managed to squeeze all the important pieces on, not the pockets though!

 

See that little pile of fabric, that's all I had left. I hope the kids don't think they're getting matching shirts!